Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Silly & Small

"God gives you what you would have prayed for if you knew everything He knows.  He is quite generous, both in omission of our silly requests and provision of His perfect will" ~ Tim Keller (25.02.11)

I am so glad I get to pray.  I am humbled that Someone who is asked to provide a Way in the midst of political unrest, acute suffering, and natural disaster takes time to listen - and not to great prayers, but to requests that He knows are silly!  And whether or not my petitioning has any more effect on a given outcome than tossing a penny in a fountain, it makes me more aware of God's work; as Keller also said that night, "the more attractive I understand Christ to be, the more things line up in my life in a good way." 

Ray Orlund echoed recently:
 "Matthew 16:23 tells us 'You are a hindrance to me, for you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.' It is not Satanic thoughts that pull us away from the cross - it is the thoughts of men.  We are naturally focused on self-preservation rather than kingdom-advancement." 

Prayer reminds me of God's work, His attractiveness, and kingdom advancement.  Thanks to the guys who help with this on Friday mornings.  Join if you like - Ugly Mugs, East Nashville, 6 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment